Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My son is always doing the opposite of asked, He is

Customer Question
Hi, My son is always doing...
My son is always doing the opposite of asked, He is continously irritated and prefers to be unhappy than happy. He is 4.5 years old. There is no history of ADHD or autism. As parents we have become very anxious. When he is asked not to do anything he will do it just to make us angry, he is a full term baby, he has a sister which is 3 months old but we try do devote more time to him than baby. Our marriage is stable. Although at home he is like this but at school he is fine although he is the quiet and shy type but what happens at home doesnt happen at school. From the time he wakes up untill he sleeps at night this happens. This has been happening prior to baby being born
Can you please point us in the direction.
Regards
Az
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/5/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician

Hello, Sorry about this negativism trait. Only maturity and time will help in this regard, so meanwhile you will have to devise strategy whereby you suggest just opposite of what you wish him do and see few days, if it helps. Long cordial talks with empathy, persuasion as well as reward, punishment strategies also be followed.

Could be he has to strain himself a lot to Behave Well in school, and he is having a release of this pressure at home (!), to do as he pleases, rather than what is being told to do.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician