Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My son has had chronic diarrhea for 3 weeks,no fever,and

Customer Question
vomited 3 times.His doctors have...
my son has had chronic diarrhea for 3 weeks,no fever,and vomited 3 times.His doctors have tested for parasites and bacteria and both came back negative.My pediatrician said we would be sent to a pediatric gastrointestinal doctor ,however he is lethargic of and on,and not eating and not retaining much ,if any,fluid.
I want to take him to the ER in the morning,but what could this be
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/5/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

There can be different causes for the chronic diarrhea.

Viral infection would not show up in routine stool test.

After an infection like viral there can be atrophy of villi causing malabsorption.

Malabsorption can come from other causes too.

Villi usually regenerates but may take time.

Depending on his age there can be inflammation.

As he is lethargic, I would advise to take him to ER.

There can be dehydration, electrolyte changes.

He can need IV fluid.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.

Wish his healthy life.

Regards.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician