Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

When a child brain is moving back and forth and becomes

Customer Question

when a child brain is moving back and forth and becomes swollen doesnt that cause bleeding behind the eyes? (retina) So can it be concluded that if there's no bleeding behind the eyes then the brain was never moved back and forth which causes it to swell?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Anthony Bray MD replied 2 years ago.

Hello--

No that is faulty logic. A lack of retinal hemorrhage would not rule out trauma to the brain or shaking of an infant as possible cause of injury. If a child had sudden neurological injury then something would have to be the cause. Various modes of investigation may be of help to determine injury to an child. An MRI of the brain may be of help to determine such injury. Determining a head injury would NOT necessarily mean retinal hemorrhage however....

I hope that this information is helpful for you.Let me know if you have further questions or discussion.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Let me put it this way, a two yr. old has passed away. 1 adult has admitted to "snapping" and "striking" the minor causing it's head to hit wall "hard" on the day the child deceased. Upon this adult confessing she is also implicating another adult of prior beatings. In reviewing the autopsy report there is no skull fractures, no intracranial hemorrhages, no broken bones, no healed bones, and no fractures. So my question is, would you agree that if a 200 lb man was allegedly beating on a minor for weeks striking the head and the body that there would be injuries shown on the report? Also would you agree that the person who is making these allegations is more than likely fabricating their statements due to lack of injuries shown? Could you list the type of injuries that would've been shown?

Post mortem forsensics is out of my field. I will opt out at this point to allow another expert to reply.

Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
I am a retina specialist.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
As an ophthalmologist and retina specialist I have examined a large number of children for shaken baby syndrome and physical abuse and have also testified in Court on a number of occasions.
Unfortunately, there is no way to know if there were pre-mortem retinal hemorrhages that would have indicated severe shaking or trauma to the head.
In addition, the autopsy results do not show any signs of severe trauma.
So. At this point, there is no way to say if the person or persons you are concerned about are lying to cover up hurting this deceased child.
I am very sorry for your loss.
Does this make sense to you?
I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.
Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.
Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, shaken baby syndrome was ruled out in this case, but the main focus is on, did the child endure cumulative beatings over a period of time. Can you name the type of injuries that are common if a child was beaten by a 200 lb man for a period of time?
The list of possible injuries is long and branching....and none of them were found by the pathologist.
A laundry list is of no value in this case.
I am sorry that this happened but I do not believe you are ever going to be able to get the answers you are so desperately seeking.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
I wish you the very best.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i appreciate your honesty, so let me ask you this if the pathologist didnt find any injuries that doesnt rule out any allegations of severe beatings.
You are correct. The child could have been beat in such a way as it might not show up on an autopsy.
But, if the child died as a direct result of being beat, then I would expect something to show up on a forensic pathological exam.
If the body was buried, and not cremated, then the opportunity exists to have a second autopsy completed, although after death and embalming the data gathered on such a delayed autopsy would be more limited than the original examination. I'm sure you can understand this.
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS