Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Experience:  20 years of experience in treating children.
9324755

My 4y/o has been running a fever ranging from 99-102 for

Customer Question

My 4y/o has been running a fever ranging from 99-102 for approx.. 48 hers. Our biggest concertn is that he has been exhibiting bizarre behavior. He has been disoriented , not recognizing us (his parents) , very restless sleep and very little sleep. He has been frequently screaming and acting as if he has been having nightmares for two days.
He did see a PA at his peds office today and my wife was told he was fine it was a viral infection.
I want to point out that he and I (father) were on a at and up paddleboard on a lake and he fell in twice and could have swallowed or had contaminated water go in his sinuses. This lake is not real clean and I am regretting that activity. We live in Denver and I've seen some signs around the area for tularemia being a problem and to avoid contact rodents. He had no direct contact with rodents but its a lake and who knows what is in it. Other thoughts that come to my mind are coxsackie virus? I am a physician surgeon and have little knowl
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 2 years ago.

Greetings,

Thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.

Was any test taken today?

How are his food intake, urine, stool?

Are you using any medicine for fever?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No labs/bloodwork or culture done at drs. office today, only examMeds-we have been giving him Tylenol or ibuprofen for feverFood intake has been low/poor, vomited once yesterday after eating some non dairy ice cream , today he did eat one meal a grilled cheese sandwich and kept it down but appetite is poor in generalStools are normal and urine normal, no diarrhea
Expert:  Dr. Su S. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the input.

Sorry for delay.

I was offline when you replied.

His temperature is not very high.

In high fever child can be a bit disoriented.

As he is disoriented at 102 temperature, I feel you should take him to hospital.

In viral fever, meningeal irritation can be possible.

He will need further evaluation, blood work and other tests if it is necessary.

I hope this information will be helpful.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.

Wish his healthy life.

Regards.