Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

Is slightly elevated Citrulline levels and slightly elevated

Customer Question
Asparagine levels cause for concern...
Is slightly elevated Citrulline levels and slightly elevated Asparagine levels cause for concern? Citrulline was 41 with a reference range of 4-38 and Asparagine was 66 with a reference range of 16-60. What would cause elevation of those blood plasma levels?
Thanks!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
7/26/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician

Hello, both are related amino acids from our diet. Major source is watermelon. No harm occurs with slight elevation if there are no other anomalies, especially kidney related.

Both are useful in keeping our capillaries dilated and blood pressure in check.

Some disease processes involve antibodies against these two, like rheumatic arthritis. So if there are no antibodies against these two amino acids, there should be no problem.

The blood plasma test was done on my child because she has had memory problems that have been increasingly getting worse. I was told that elevated Citrulline could be the cause? Is that theory impossible? She has not been eating watermelon and hasn't had any for ar least a month.

This slight excess can never cause memory problem. Body enzymes capable of metabolising this amino acid exist and reflected in normal urea level of blood.

Please be supportive and try educational measures to improve learning, memory retention and recall etc.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician