Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

When a two year old drinks 8 to 10 bottles of juice a day

Customer Question
and only eats chips and...
when a two year old drinks 8 to 10 bottles of juice a day and only eats chips and candy with an occasional fruit or top ramen; what will te long term effects be to her development? I've tried to explain that she is filling up on empty calories and that is why she is not eating at meal times. HELP!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
7/10/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician

I'm sorry you're concerned about this child. I'll try to help.

The first concern would be for obesity, of course. It's very important that children be provided an balanced diet of healthy foods in order to maintain a healthy weight. Children who are obese will typically continue to be obese as adults and are at higher risk for early onset diabetes, metabolic syndrome, high blood pressure, and heart disease. Juice is not recommended for children as it provides no nutritional benefits. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no more than 6oz per day for children over age 2 yrs, at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables, and 3-5 servings of dairy each day. You may be able to help this family by providing them with healthier food choices as juice and top ramen are inexpensive and perhaps they have trouble affording healthier food options. Generally, a 2yr old should take in approx 1000 calories per day. Depending on the bottle size she is being given she could easily be consuming more than 1000 calories per day just in the juice. www.choosemyplate.gov has some great resources that you might be able to share with this family. I'm glad you're looking out for this child. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance!

Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician