Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

Dear Doctors, My Daughter is 11 year old and is having SVT

Customer Question
since 2 years. Ever since...
Dear Doctors, My Daughter is 11 year old and is having SVT since 2 years. Ever since she was discovered with SVT, she has been on medication Beta Propralonol 2 ml each day (1 ml) morning and 1 ml in the night. She is having rare episodes of SVT only when
she is sick with seasonal sickness ( stomach flu, fever). Till now she got 3 episodes and we took her to emergency and they gave injection and it got controlled. Her doctor suggested about catheter ablation and said it is safe. We are planning to proceed with
that. But as a Mother I am extremely scared. Could you please suggest me/ answer me on the following please: 1. How much safe is it for a 11year old kid to go over ablation procedure? 2. Are there chances of getting SVT back even after catheter ablation? 3.
Since she is getting arythmia very rarely do you think it is better to wait for some more time and go for catheter ablation after an year or two (or) is it good to get it done at an early stage i.e now itself? 4. What are the side effects we can expect after
the ablation procedure is done? 5. Rather than getting ablation done, if we just keep continuing using beta propralonol for some more years would that medicine helps taking out svt? 6. Which is the good hospital in USA/ expert doctor who do this procedure
with a high success rate? Could you please suggest? We stay in Chicago. Regards, ***** *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
Please address this to Dr.Phil
6/28/2015
Pediatrician: Dr.S.A Alam, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty) replied 2 years ago
Dr.S.A Alam
Dr.S.A Alam, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty)

Thank you for your question,

1... It is very safe procedure with complication rate of less than -1-2%.

2... Yes there are chances of SVT after ablation.

first ablation is 75% successful, while second ablation is around 95%, while third is 100% successful.

3.... It depends on the type of arrhythmia, if it is simple PSVT then it can wait, while if it is more serious form of SVT that may end up in VT then it should be ablated.

4.... It depends on the type of ablation, if it is done near the pulmonary veins then pulmonary vein stenosis, while if it is near to the AV node then we can expect complete AV block.

5...

5...As I have mentioned it depends on the type of SVT, there are dozen type of SVTs all of which have different prognosis. If know the type then I may be more accurate.

Let me know if you have questions.

Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician

Hello, Catheter ablation using radio-frequency is attempted when drugs fail to treat or prevent this arrythmia or when there are side-effects to drug.

Regarding the choice of center, please follow advice of your pediatric cardiologist.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician