Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 11 month old went swimming lessons 30 hours ago and a

Customer Question
Hi, my 11 month old...
Hi, my 11 month old went swimming lessons 30 hours ago and a couple times swallowed a little it if water (not almost drowned). Then about 48 hours ago he was eating biscuits and seemed to almost chock so I put my finger in to get food out and he projectile vomit all his dinner up. When happy he sleeps through the night but last night was waking about every hour really distressed, not sure if in pain, or possibly hot from heater, or scarred from what happened earlier. I thought there is nothing we can do really other than comfort him, but today he often was coughing and it seems like his throat or chest had flem on it like he was trying to cough it up. He has mainly been happy today except when tired. And tonight was coughing a bit during dinner if not chewing food enough (I think it was cautionary after last night not wanting to choke). I feel like he should be fine, but I read about secondary drowning and just wanted to check if this sounds like something I should worry about, or what symptons to look out for to know if I should take him to the doctor or hospital.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/28/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician

Hello, Sorry about his symptoms. There is no risk about secondary drowning now after many hours. Only he may have developed respiratory infection either from water or from earlier choking and aspiration of milk.

If he gets any temperature rise, you need to take him to your pediatrician. Otherwise please offer frequent sips of warm sugary water with dash of common salt to clear upper airway and throat. Also try to help him bring out any secretion sticking there by inverting position (when on empty stomach), head lower than abdomen lying on tummy between your two legs and thumping lightly over upper back.

Thank you!

You are welcome and good luck.

Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician