Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician
Experience:  17 years in private practice in the U.S.
45319925

Physicians licensed in the United States only, please. I

Customer Question

Physicians licensed in the United States only, please.
Hello, I cooked breakfast for my little boy around 11:30 AM and then had to leave for an appointment. I returned home about 4:00 PM and then took my little boy to grab some dinner between 5:30 and 6:30. When we arrived home, I was changing a light bulb over my stove and noticed the smell of gas. I contacted the babysitter who didn't notice a gas smell and described herself as having a very sensitive sense of smell, so it is possible that my little boy turned on the stove at a later time although he has insisted that he did not. At any rate, I told my little boy to wait in our backyard and opened then windows for ahttp://www.carbon-monoxide-survivor.com/carbon-monoxide-poisoning-what-family-and-friends-must-know.htmlbout an hour. My little boy does seem sleepy, but is denying any other symptoms. I was trying to find the criteria for seeking additional treatment and it is all pretty vague. However, I did find the following article, which is pretty alarming. Could you provide information on when to seek additional treatment? http://www.carbon-monoxide-survivor.com/carbon-monoxide-poisoning-what-family-and-friends-must-know.html
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Ficus, MD replied 2 years ago.

Hi! I am a pediatric***** *****censed in the US and I would be happy to help you. Carbon monoxide is a waste by-product of the combustion of gas and is not a concern if the gas was just left on in the home. The concern would be for explosion, so you were right to air out the house with the child outside. You do not need to worry about carbon monoxide poisoning and there would be no need to seek treatment for your child. Please let me know if you have further questions.