Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 14 month old has discharge from her vagina and her vagina…

Customer Question
My 14 month old has...

My 14 month old has white discharge from her vagina and her vagina is very red. She also crys when I wipe her. Is it possible for her to have a yeast infection or something like that? She uses cloth wipes would that make a difference?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/21/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician

It would be unusual for a child of that age to have a vaginal yeast infection. Sometimes there's white matter that can collect between the labia (lips) that can just be washed away (it's not actually coming from the vagina). If she's quite red I would recommend a good diaper cream (one containing zinc oxide would be a good choice). You can also sit her in a tub of clear water with some baking soda in the water. Let her sit for 10 min or so and when she get out pat her dry and apply the cream. It should improve in a day or 2. If not, you might want to have her seen by her physician.

Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician