Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My niece is 8 months old and she has had a cold and has been

Customer Question
Hi, My niece is 8...
Hi, My niece is 8 months old and she has had a cold and has been on antibiotics for the past 5 days. Just today we were out and she started coughing. A dry persistent cough for about half an hour. After we got back inside the house she got better and now is ok. I think it was the cold air and weather change. She didn't have this before and the dry cough sounds a bit like the cough my nephew (her brother) has when he gets an asthma attack and he usually takes the salbutamol inhaler and is ok. I'm just a bit worried about my niece. Because the doctor's are now closed, if she gets this cough again during the night what should we do? Wait for it to stop or can we give her the salbutamol inhaler or is she too young for it? Is there any reason to be seriously worried? Can this get worse suddenly and cause breathing problems? Is it better to take her to emergency if she gets this again?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/17/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.
Did she have difficulty in breathing?
How was her respiration?
Hello
I just noticed that you have gone offline.
I am writing the answer.
If you have any question after reading this answer, please feel free for follow up query.
Salbutamol inhaler needs to be used with caution below 2 years of age.
If urgently needed, it needs to be used under medical supervision.
Her respiratory tract is still in the healing stage from infection & sensitive to stimuli.
It can be that cold air outside has irritated the mucosa of respiratory causing the coughing bout.
Please keep the room warm & humid.
I hope, she will remain OK.
If she develops bouts of coughing with breathing difficulty, she needs to be taken to hospital.
Nebulizer would be good for her.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician