Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 2 year old has a swollen outer ear what can I do to

Customer Question
alleviate the swelling...
My 2 year old has a swollen outer ear what can I do to alleviate the swelling
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/12/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 3 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.
There is possibility of swimmer's ear — which is an infection of the ear canal, the passage that carries sounds from the outside of the body to the eardrum. It can be caused by many different types of bacteria or fungi and commonly occurs in kids who spend a lot of time in the water. Too much moisture in the ear can irritate and break down the skin in the canal, allowing bacteria or fungi to penetrate.
But you don't have to swim to get swimmer's ear. Anything that causes a break in the skin of the ear canal can lead to an infection. Dry skin or eczema, scratching the ear canal, vigorous ear cleaning with cotton-tipped applicators, or inserting foreign objects like bobby pins or paper clips into the ear can all increase the risk of this infection. Did she do any of these?
Insect bites to the outer ear can cause marked redness, swelling, pain. Symptoms are self-limited over 48-72 hrs. Was there any insect bite?
She hasnt done any of those things and not a lot of time in or near water just daily bathing.we live in a semi wooded area so it may be an insect bite. The ear is red and swollen but fever and shes not crying at or tugging on the ear.
Thank you for the input.
Sorry for the delay, there was a problem with internet.
Swelling can be then from an allergy, insect bite.
Other possibility can be an infection.
You can apply ice.
Please do not apply it directly.
Apply it after wrapping it in a towel to avoid cold injury.
Motrin or ibuprofen has antiinflammatory action which can help to reduce the swelling.
I would also advise to get an examination by doctor.
In case of infection, antibiotics can be required.
Steroid can be needed in case of allergy, bite.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.