Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 12 year old daughters left breast around her areola is…

Customer Question
My 12 year old daughters...
My 12 year old daughters left breast around her areola is red swollen and painful is this normal
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/11/2015
Pediatrician: Dr Mike - NYPediatrics, Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr Mike - NYPediatrics
Hi, my name is***** and I can help you narrow this down as to what is the cause. First I have a few questions. How long has it been there and has she had this problem in the past? Has she had a fever or other symptoms like discharge?
It sounds like a mastitis, which is an infection in the breast tissue. This could be from a blocked duct, a bacterial infection, or both. For the time being, I would recommend warm/hot compresses to help open the ducts and allow drainage. If she has had a fever, or this has been there for more than a few days, I would recommend getting her seen as she may need to take an antibiotic.
I hope this helps!
Dr Mike - NYPediatrics
Dr Mike - NYPediatrics
Dr Mike - NYPediatrics, Pediatrician