Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My stomache has been hurting for a few days. I started

Customer Question
taking a probiotic 3 weeks...
My stomache has been hurting for a few days. I started taking a probiotic 3 weeks ago. I had blood in my stool (red) yesterday and again this morning. Do I need to go into emergency or can I book an appointment for next week with my family doctor??
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/7/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 3 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.
At which part of the stomach do you feel pain?
How many times do you pass stool?
How much blood was in the stool at each occasion?
How is stool consistency?
Lower stomach. I have been going a couple times a day the last couple days. It is very soft stool and not formed at all. Not diarrhea. There is not a lot of blood but because I am so far from home I am stressed about it. I would say a very small amount of blood in the stool and none on the tissue when I wipe (not a fissure)
Hello Tammy,
Thank you for the input.
As you are passing stool several times a day, and you have pain in the lower abdomen, the cause of blood in the stool can be due infection.
In infection stool is usually frequent and loose.
Blood usually comes in bacterial infection.
In bacterial infection you will need antibiotics.
The other cause of bleeding and lower abdominal pain is from inflammation.
Diverticulitis, polyp, inflammatory bowel disease can be the other possibilities.
Though the blood is not too much, still you need to get it examined by doctor asap.
If you do not get appointment on Monday, it is better to go to urgent care or hospital.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish your healthy life.
Regards.