Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My daughters bun/creatinine ratio is 44. Is that considered

Customer Question
too high and should we...
My daughters bun/creatinine ratio is 44. Is that considered too high and should we have further tests done on her
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/3/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. SH, Physcian replied 2 years ago
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physcian

Can you please attach the blood reports here.
Kind regards

Pediatrician: DrRussMd, Board certified general medicine replied 2 years ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board certified general medicine
Hello
The BUN/CR ration is not meaningful without seeing the BUN and creatinine.
If the creatinine is high, then this is renal disease until proven otherwise, and a nephrologist is needed.
If the creatinine it normal, then this can be from dehydration, bleeding in the small bowel, Or, it can be obstruction somewhere in the kidney, and I would start with an ultrasound in this case.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
I would appreciate it if you could attach your reports here for me to see.
Kind regards
I'm having difficulties attaching the blood report, but her BUN level is 14mg/dl and creatinine levels are .32mg/dl which I believe fall within the normal range?
both these are in normal range.
I would just keep her well hydrated.
Her kidneys are functioning absolutely fine.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.
Kind regards
This session is open for any number of further questions that you have.
I would appreciate it if you rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below as that is the only way we, the experts, are credited for helping you out.
Kind regards
Dr. SH
Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physcian