Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physcian
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My Daughter is two and Half years old. Her weight is less

Customer Question

Hi, My Daughter is two and Half years old. Her weight is less than the expected weight. Now she is just weighs 10 Kgs. She is not interested in taking food. Can you suggest any medicine for improving the appetite.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Hi there
Thank you for your question.
Although there are a drug or two that can help increase appetite in children there are a few steps that I would recommend that you should take before starting a drug. First of all you should try encouraging your child to eat what she loves the most. This choice may not be the healthiest but at least this may help her start eating. For instance you can try giving a little amount of cookies or chips followed by healthier food choices. Secondly, you should settle a regular timetable for meals so that your child habituates to demand food at a particular time. Also, eating together in a family with a favorite background music for your child is something that would also encourage eating. Preparing food that smells good with your kid's favorite spices and dips may also help.
Regular running around or moving around also helps with increasing the appetite as well.
Finally if all this does not work, appetite stimulants like cyproheptadine can be tried, which you can request your doctor to prescribe.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Please rate me by clicking on one of the rating options below.
Kind regards