Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My daughter has a 5 day old baby. She wasn't feeding her

Customer Question
more than a 1 oz...
My daughter has a 5 day old baby. She wasn't feeding her more than a 1 oz bottle about 6 times a day. The hospital didn't inform them to increase her formula, so she was still getting 6-1 oz bottle hours a day for about 2 1/2 days. So her husband and her weren't feeding the baby 8-12 times a day. On day 4 the baby had a check up and was told the baby was now 7 1/2 pounds So basically she was being starved, at birth she weighted 8 lbs 3 oz. The baby lost 10% of her weight. First time parents.
My question, due to the lack of nourishment at this stage. Is the baby lack formula going to affect her at all? in development, etc. Is this a problem?
Evie
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
5/31/2015
Pediatrician: DrRussMd, Board certified general medicine replied 2 years ago
DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board certified general medicine
Hello
As long as the pediatric exam is OK, the baby is going to catch up fine.
This is true in almost all cases.
They should feed the baby when the baby is hungry, by the way.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMd
DrRussMd