Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My son is 22 months old and we have recently noticed he

Customer Question
randomly shrugs his shoulders....
My son is 22 months old and we have recently noticed he randomly shrugs his shoulders. It seems to be when he is scolded or trying to get into some type of mischief and we are following him to stop it. Otherwise we do not really notice him doing that motion.
He is communicating well and has many worlds and little sentences.
We are so worried it is autism or Tourette's.
Is this normal toddler behavior? Or should we be very concerned.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
5/26/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. K., MD replied 3 years ago
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD

It is common for toddlers and children to develop motor tics. They are usually not Tourette's or due to autism. They are sometimes associated with anxiety and are a coping mechanism. He will outgrow it. Sometimes the behavior or motion is replaced with something else, but that goes away in time. It is harmless and nothing to be worried about at this point. This would be something to discuss with your pediatrician at his 2 year check up.

Thank you that is reassuring. I have been in bed rest for my current pregnancy for the last 6 weeks and he definitely has been acting out a bit.
I cannot lift him and there have been a lot of people in and out and he really isn't sure who he is supposed to listen to. Is it possible the recent stressful family even could provoke something like this?

Yes it is very common for something like this to start in times of stress. Not to worry, it is very likely it will go away all on its own. It is best not to draw attention to it.