Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 20 month old grandson was jumping on my bed which is

Customer Question
about 2 feet off the...
My 20 month old grandson was jumping on my bed which is about 2 feet off the floor. The room is carpeted. I kept trying to get him to stop, but I couldn't catch him fast enough to break his fall. He fell on his head. He has a bruise on his forehead and a knot, but he fell in that spot the other day while walking. So I am not sure if he re-injured that spot or if this is new. I tried to put ice on it, but he would not let me do so for very long. I looked at his pupils with a flashlight, and they react normally. I think he landed his whole body and face on his stomach. He cried for a bit very hard and then was fine. What do I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
5/26/2015
Pediatrician: Hilary, Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Hilary
Hilary, Pediatrician
it doesn't sound like there is any open wound that requires stitches since you did not mention any blood. So I am assuming that there is no laceration.
In terms of the head injury, keep a close eye on him for 24 hours. Signs that would require further attention include
1. persistent vomiting- 1 episode is not a problem
2. unusual behavior, excessive crying that continues after he settles down now, irritability that is out of the blue.
3. excessive sleepniness (difficult to assess at bedtime) but also applies to tomorrow as well
4. visual problems, unsteady gait, severe headaches (difficult to assess at this age- but falls into extreme irritability)
Most of the time kids are just fine with nothing to worry about. This is the age for many falls especially when they are tired or irritable. Do your best to keep a safe home environment with sharp corners of tables, beds etc protected. Areas blocked off that are unsafe for play etc.
Rarely do kids need the emergency room after a fall, as long as you keep an eye on him and he seems to be acting normally, you are in the clear in 24 hours.
What to do:
Nothing other than observation
Do your best to ice the bump few minutes on, 20 minutes off for the first day while he is awake and will let you
No pain/motrin medication - you want to know if he is irritable or in pain
Wake him up 1 time in the middle of the night to make sure he is ok, then if he is fine let him go back to sleep.
Keep routines as normal as possible for the next day, this helps to make sure behaviors are not out of the ordinary
if you have any further questions, please feel free to ask
Hilary
Hilary
Hilary, Pediatrician