Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

My 21 month old daughter had fever for two days. It went…

Customer Question
My 21 month old daughter...

My 21 month old daughter had fever for two days. It went away for almost a full day and now it suddenly came back. It is back up to 101.5. Is it normal for a fever to go completely away without medication and then suddenly come back. Could it be teething?

I updated this and it didn't save it. To be more specific, she was diagnosed with ear infection and put on antibiotics for two days. Then fever went away and now it is back. So, she has been on antibiotics for 2 days already.

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
5/24/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 3 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.
This does not sound like a teething issue.
In teething, the temperature rise is mild.
This can be from infection.
Temperature may not be high every day.
If the antibiotic works, she would have less ear pain or discomfort, fever would gradually slow down.
If the fever continues for another 2 days, you should take her to doctor again.
Blood, urine test can be done to rule other causes of infection.
If the temperature goes up, you can give Tylenol or Motrin..
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
Wish her healthy life.
Regards.