doc4kids
doc4kids, Pediatrician
Experience:  General Pediatrics and Pediatric Emergency Medicine
9470432

My son is 3 and healthy. Has 3-4 bb size lymph nodes on

Customer Question

My son is 3 and healthy. Has 3-4 bb size lymph nodes on either side of his groin. They move side to side and seem to be identical on each side. I can feel them though which is scary.
They are smaller then a pea I think.
Concerning?
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 2 years ago.
The small and stationary size would mean there is no active condition and only some past infection over foot or legs could have caused this nodes to increase in first place.
Please continue to observe and keep skin and nails of feet healthy and clean. If you find ever any increase in size or reddening, softening, please consult your pediatrician. No further tests or medicines would be necessary as of now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm confused. I'm asking if it's normal to feel lymph nodes in the groin of a child- no reason but just palpable nodes?
Are multiple lymph nodes on each side, concerning for somethjng like a blood cancer?
Like I mentioned, bb to pea size
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Two weeks ago he fell and had a bad scrape on both legs. That has healed. Also, last wedneday he had his first dose of MMR vaccines.
Very worried these could be a sign of cancer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  doc4kids replied 2 years ago.
Dr Vasavada may also wish to re-answer here but, in short, yes, it is normal. Lymph nodes have the job of clearing impurities and cellular debris from the blood. These "filters" can become enlarged enough from time to time that they are palpable. Both you and Dr Vasavada give very reasonable explanations as to why they may become so. Their described discreteness, small size and they seem to disappear and reappear or change from one side to the other are very reassuring signs that they are simply doing what they are supposed to do. I appreciate your concern but I assure you it is very normal to be able to feel them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. They haven't disappeared. They aren't visable. Only can feel if I lay him down and feel into his groin. Like I said, 3-4 little BB size balls on each side. They are smaller then a pea. I would say. My question is yes, is this totally normally to feel? Would a blood cancer cause this or would their be signs other then this? Very worried to even feel them.
Expert:  doc4kids replied 2 years ago.
Some lymph node swellings are found in blood cancers but not typically in the manner in which you describe them. Rather, they are large, typically multiple nodes matted together. Often then are fixed to the tissue beneath or skin above. It is also unusual to have an otherwise healthy baby with this being the only sign. Often there is unexplained fever, weight loss, sweating etc. again, totally normal to feel and not concerning the way you describe them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. That's what I was focusing on. That, if this was the only sign! They aren't matter together, like if press one it doesn't move with others. They will move side to side individually if I press on them. They are Almost identical places on each side of groin.
He is eating great and high energy and hasn't been sick in quite some time.
Expert:  doc4kids replied 2 years ago.
Excellent. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. And, again is this a normal finding in kids?
Expert:  doc4kids replied 2 years ago.
In kids AND in adults, it is normal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have to ask a follow up, my son has one or two dark purple spots above his groin. I got very scared about the petachie? I read about. They are new spots that haven't always been there. Only one right now is visable.
Is this concerning? Would they form around the groin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It feels raised when I touch it.
Expert:  doc4kids replied 2 years ago.
I'm not convinced I have a handle on what you are describing. Petechiae, if caused by something of concern are generally more broadly spread. A single (or even two) would be too few to be of concern and are almost certainly, then related to something else. Can you provide a picture? If you wish to cover his genitals, that's fine but provide something else for size reference. If it's too close, scale is difficult to discern. It doesn't sound concerning but I'd be willing to take a look.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I believe it is a angiokeratoma. I'm now..after googling..worried about Fabrys disease.
Expert:  doc4kids replied 2 years ago.
You went from unlikely to unlikelier. I can't confirm without seeing it. Have you thought about having your PCP look at them. You clearly have some anxiety about this. Again, if you want to send a picture , I'd be happy to provide an opinion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know. I'm losing it this week. It's a small purple papule. I have a few cherry anigomas and a fee angiokeratomas myself. It looks just like one. Small.
I don't know anyone in my family with Fabrys. I don't know if I have it. But, I'm worried now about him.
I did read that many children present with other symtpoms first though. It's so scary!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Expert:  doc4kids replied 2 years ago.
It looks like a small hemangioma. In isolation, even taking into account your concern about his lymph nodes, this is not a concerning symptom for fabrys disease or any other sinister pathology. Petechiae of any significance are more numerous.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. And Fabrys..is passed down genetically and no one in my family has ever had it. My father doesn't and he's 64 with no Fabrys. My mother and her whole family didn't have it either. So I don't think I could have it..and have passed to my son.
Expert:  doc4kids replied 2 years ago.
It's x linked recessive. Passed thru mothers to children but sons are always affected and girls can be affected but to a lesser degree. Please don't misunderstand, I really don't think he has fabry disease; I'm only addressing your question. If I have been able to answer that question, I'd appreciate a rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Would someone in my family line have to have had it?
There's been no one.