Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My son's 8 month old baby, who was born 2 months premature,

Customer Question
has been sick with a...
My son's 8 month old baby, who was born 2 months premature, has been sick with a cough and very congested for more than two weeks now. He said she sometimes vomits the phlegm up when she starts crying too hard. He's also said the pediatrician who sees her said to wait it out.
I stayed with them last night and woke up this morning, hearing the baby's cough. It's very tight. She sounds very congestested and you can hear the rattle of the phlegm. I told my wife it sounds like she a nebulizer treatment (she is not asthmatic).
What advice can I give to my son and daughter-in-law? They are new parents. This is their first baby.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
5/10/2015
Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 2 years ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Hello.
Please try giving medicine bit diluted with warm water, as sips, slowly. Also try to clear airway by inverting child (head low) on your stretched legs, on her tummy, thumping lightly on upper back few times when she is on empty stomach.
Any episode of cough for more than 2 weeks has to be investigated with blood work and chest X ray to rule out bacterial infection and antibiotic course may be required.
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician