How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Uzair Your Own Question
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor (non-pediatrics specialty)
Category: Pediatrics
Satisfied Customers: 7629
Experience:  MBBS. FCPS (R) General Surgery and Traumatology.5 years experience in Emergency Medicine.
Type Your Pediatrics Question Here...
Dr Uzair is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I noticed to late that the jar of jelly I had was growing

Customer Question

I noticed to late that the jar of jelly I had was growing mold on the rim of the jar. My toddler had a small amount of jelly with her toast. My toddler has been showing signs of a stomach flu since mainly just diarrhea. 4 days later now she is vomiting
for the first time. Could this be the mold or a stomach flu?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Pediatrics
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.
I have answered your query on a previous thread as well.

Stomach flu is another name for Gastroenteritis, while the most common cause of stomach flu in children is a virus known as the rota virus but it can also be caused by bacteria and viruses. Since, there is an identifiable cause of eating mold, then the most likely cause is the mold on the jelly she ate.

If she is vomiting then you should hydrate her with Pedialyte oral hydration solution, if the vomiting is more than 4 times per day, then there is a significant risk of dehydration which could be of concern in toddlers and in that case you should have her visit the Urgent Care or the ER for IV hydration and anti emetic medication.

Signs to watch out for are: confusion, dry skin, thirst, rapid pulse, shallow breathing.

Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.