Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My son is 17 months and he been having an ear infections

every 2-3 months. I hate...
My son is 17 months and he been having an ear infections every 2-3 months. I hate giving him antibiotics all the time. A friend suggest of going to cheropracter and that they can help with that problem. I been going to a great cheropracter for that last 6 month and I like it. He also works with small children. I was wondering doctor opinion about that.
10/24/2013
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Are you free to chat?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

I would really apreshate your opinion

Dr. A. Clark :

Sure.

Dr. A. Clark :

I can tell you, without a doubt, that a chiropractor cannot help with ear infections and most will not treat children of any age.

Customer:

So why is so many children going to my chiropractor and my doctor assures me that he can help

Dr. A. Clark :

Ear infections are not really dangerous or harmful, other than causing a hearing loss that can interfere with his speech.

Customer:

They saying that because children of my son age fall a lot, some bons gets dislocated which interaptes ear flow when he is teething and it create ear infection.

Customer:

I don't like giving my child antibiotics all the time against ear infection. I know a lot of antibiotics are not good for a baby

Dr. A. Clark :

I can't tell you why your doctor would recommend this as the American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend that children be seen by chiropractors since they are growing so fast and don't need anyone "adjusting" their vertebra. I can't tell you how many times I've seen children whose families have spent a lot of money for chiropractic treatment who developed serious health problems, even requiring surgery who should have been treated by their doctors earlier.

Dr. A. Clark :

Antibiotics do not harm children or adults, other than some will have side effects such as diarrhea, yeast infections etc. I can't say that about chiropractors.

Customer:

So it dangerouse for my child to see chiropracter?

Dr. A. Clark :

Some kids with chronic ear infections require surgery to insert little tubes into the eardrum to keep it open and preserve their hearing.

Dr. A. Clark :

I would not say dangerous but there is nothing they do to affect ear infections, which have nothing to do with the spine or nerves.

Customer:

Ok. Thank you very much for your help

Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome and unless your child is delayed in his speech I would not worry about occasional ear infections, nor the antibiotics to treat them. I probably treated my own son's ears 30 times in the first couple of years of life and he turned out fine!

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know if you have any further questions and if not I hope you will take advantage of the opportunity to rate my advice when you exit chat. Please feel free to ask for me by name the next time you have a question about your children.

Dr. A. Clark :

Did you have any further questions?

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy to stand by but chat isn't and will kick us off in 4 minutes if neither of us posts anything.

Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician