Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 7 1/2 month old daughter has been having loose stool for

the past 3-4 days...
My 7 1/2 month old daughter has been having loose stool for the past 3-4 days. She is being formula fed with a meal of solid per a day.
We are currently on a month vacation in Hong Kong. We have been here in Hong Kong for 2 weeks, but her stool has been loose for only the past 3-4days. We are thinking its because she touches things and then put it in her mouth. Its quite dirty around Hong Kong. Could be this be the reason and if it is what should we do?
Could it be any other reasons?
10/4/2013
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.
How many times did she pass stool in a day?
Does she have any other symp***** *****ke vomiting, fever?
How is her feeding?
How is urine output?

She has been passing stool around 2-3times a day. Usually 1 time a day.

She has been like her normal self. Very happy and playful.

She is taking in around 24-28oz/day which is very normal.

Urine seems to be normal as well.

Hi Jack,
Thank you for the input.
There can be a few factors for the loose stool.
It is possible to acquire infection in the dirty environment.
Viral one is common cause for loose stool.
It is usually self limiting & needs supportive management only.
But during travel, bacterial infection is common.
2-3 loose stool is not too much. That can be a normal variation.
If there is any change of food, it can also be a factor.
As she is otherwise her normal self, you can observe her.
Urine output is also good.
If you notice the number of stool is increasing, or if there is more liquid part than solid or if she develops any other symp***** *****ke fever, vomiting etc., I would suggest to get her examined by a local doctor.
Please keep her well hydrated & watch her urine output.
In dehydration urine output will decrease.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service here. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
If you are not satisfied & decide to click poor or bad service, please stop for a moment & feel free to ask & continue conversation by using reply button.
This will help me to explain further & satisfy you.
Wish healthy life.
Warm Regards.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician