Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My wife is breastfeeding our 5 day old girl. Her poop is

pretty runny. That's normal right?...
My wife is breastfeeding our 5 day old girl. Her poop is pretty runny. That's normal right?
10/3/2013
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S. and I will try my best to help you.
How many times does she pass stool in a day?
How is urine output?
Does she take only breast feeding?

Day 2= 3 poops. Day 3= 3 poops. Day 4= 11 poops, 6 of those were runny between 11pm and 2:30 am. Today= 1 runny poop. Shes peed a couple times today for sure. Probably more often mixed with pooping.

Hi Brian,
Thank you for the input.
Breast feeding baby can pass stool several times a day.
11 times is not abnormal.
Stool can be loose mixed with water.
It may take time to have proper digestion in a new born baby.
After each feeding she can pass stool for a few days.
But if the water part is more and urine is less, then you should contact pediatrician.
Baby should pass urine at least 4-5 times in 24 hours.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service here. If there’s anything else I can do, please let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!
If you are happy with my answer please click on the Excellent/Good rating.
If you are not satisfied & decide to click poor or bad service, please stop for a moment & feel free to ask & continue conversation by using reply button.
This will help me to explain further & satisfy you.
Wish her healthy life.
Warm Regards.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician