Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My thirteen year old daughter started her period a few

months ago. It's pretty...
My thirteen year old daughter started her period a few months ago. It's pretty heavy and lasts for about a week. She eats healthy, primarily plant-based, and has meat and fish once in a while. She has always taken a children's chewable multi-vitamin but I notice those have no iron.
I'd like her to take a vitamin with a bit of iron in it but she's unable to swallow a women's multi-vitamin, even when I cut it in half.
I need a recommendation for either a chewable women's multi-vitamin or a small iron supplement for her to take with her children's chewable multi-vitamin. Thank you.
9/15/2013
Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician
Dr. Ficus, MD :

I'll do my best to answer your question. If you're available for chat, let's get started.

Dr. Ficus, MD :

Hi! Flintstone's chewable vitamins with iron contain iron and should be available in your local drug store on on line. However, in most cases iron supplementation is not necessary in a menstruating teenager unless she is having unusually heavy bleeding. You can have her physician do a simple blood test to see if she is in danger of becoming anemic if you are concerned. That said, there's little downside to your providing her a multivitamin with iron. Just watch for constipation as that can be a problem when taking medications containing iron.

Dr. Ficus, MD :

If your daughter is soaking a maxi pad every 1-2 hours or more her bleeding might be greater than expected and you should discuss that with her physician. Most teens will need to change a pad every 3 hours or so on days with heavy flow (usually the first 2-3 days) with the flow tapering after another few days.

Dr. Ficus, MD :

Please let me know if you have any further questions and feel free to request me in the future if you're pleased with my answer.

Dr. Ficus, MD :

Have a great night!

Customer:

Thank you!

Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician
Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD
Dr. Ficus, MD, Pediatrician