Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My grandson that is 4 years old will only eat a few foods

and not very much of...
My grandson that is 4 years old will only eat a few foods and not very much of those. He seems to be healthy and of a weight normal for his age. He will drink milk. Eat a cracker or two. Sometimes will eat a Mcdonalds french fry but only from McDonalds. He can not be fooled by hiding food in other foods. Will not even let a noodle touch him. Will eat a small crust of bread. Only will eat the skin of an apple. Has never eaten any meat. He ate normally until as a baby when they started to introduce solid food he stopped eating. It seems to be getting worse as his food intake is almost nothing other than milk.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/7/2013
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your grandchild and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping grandparents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

As a grandparent of 6 and parent of 3 I can certainly understand your concern. Can you tell me how he is doing as far as his growth? Are his height and weight normal for a child his age?

Customer:

Yes they are.

Dr. A. Clark :

Great and what I expected since most toddlers are picky eaters like he is.

Customer:

In the last couple of weeks he has started to loose weight, 4 lbs since his last check up.

Customer:

He is sleeping more than he used to and complains of a stomach ache.

Dr. A. Clark :

Has his doctor examined him since then?

Customer:

Yes, today. His advice just keep offering him food, which is not working as his parents have offered him everything that he used to eat a little of but now is not eating.

Dr. A. Clark :

Then I'm concerned that his doctor hasn't taken this seriously enough. Did he have any testing: blood, urine, etc?

Customer:

No, that is why we are concerned as at this point we thought some testing should have been done.

Dr. A. Clark :

I suggest that he be reexamined and have some basic lab tests done: CBC, Urine, Chemistry panel, Sed Rate, and perhaps thyroid testing, at least to rule out any metabolic disorder that might be going on.

Customer:

It appears that his Dr. and the school personnel look at him and he appears healthy and is active so they seem to think his parents are either over reacting or negligent in feeding him. I have personally been involved and I can attest I have never seen a child eat so little food and reject what most children love to eat, sweets, etc.

Dr. A. Clark :

It is very normal for kids his age to be picky eaters but losing weight is not so he needs to be checked out.

Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician