Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 11 month old fell off the bed for the 4th time today. He

is also a very busy...
My 11 month old fell off the bed for the 4th time today. He is also a very busy guy and is constantly bumping his head on things even though I take precautions. I have never experienced this kind of thing with his brother and sister.
I read online that multiple mild head injuries can affect his brain and now I am panicking. Should I be worried? He has never lost consciousness, had changes in behavior or personality or been oeverly sleepy. He is right on target with his milestons, getting ready to walk any day. He has only ever cried a little and twice had a goose egg.
9/4/2013
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

I can assure you first that falls like his are quite common, second it's not just you who agonizes over these bumps and bruises, and third, you need not worry about trivial falls like his causing any brain injury.

Dr. A. Clark :

The reason I can say this, other than the fact that I've been doing this for over 34 years, is that it takes a lot more force than a fall and bump on the head to cause brain injuries, even when they occur daily, if not more often.

Dr. A. Clark :

Head injuries without a loss of consciousness and not followed by any confusion, loss of balance, speech, etc are just bumps on the scalp, though they don't always raise a bump at all.

Dr. A. Clark :

Feeling better?

Dr. A. Clark :

Did you have any questions or other concerns about your little one?

Customer:

Yes thank you. My older son has ADHD and I was told by someone that a fall from his high chair as a baby could hav caused it. This person was trying to sell me something and I left her office feeling like she was a quack, but it got under my skin and started me worrying. Tben I googled...

Customer:

Thanks

Dr. A. Clark :

His ADHD was NOT caused by a fall and whoever told you that likely was selling some bogus vitamin/mineral "brain food" or "therapy" that is as worthless as the advice they gave you.

Dr. A. Clark :

And "Dr. Google" should have his license revoked when it comes to dispensing medical advice since there is no expert oversight of what get's posted there and the top ranking links are usually the quackery ones.

Dr. A. Clark :

That

Dr. A. Clark :

That's why JustAnswer is such a good resource!

Dr. A. Clark :

All parents, especially mothers, tend to blame themselves for every illness or condition that befalls their children and that just means you are a good mother, even though the problem rarely has anything to do with your mothering skills!

Customer:

Yes. It was for brain mapping.I have fallen for a lot of quackery in the past, but I can see we need to use our resources on therapies that will actually help our son and not on some fake magic bullet. Thanks for your time. You've been very reassuring.

Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome and feel free to ask for me by name the next time you need advice about your children.

Dr. A. Clark :

Chat will time us out and kick us off after 4 minutes if neither of us posts anything so please let me know if I can be of any further service. Otherwise, I trust you will take the opportunity to rate my reply when presented with it as you exit chat. Have a great day.

Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician