Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My son is 4 and has Asthma attack when he has a cold. We

My son is 4 and...
My son is 4 and has Asthma attack when he has a cold. We were wondering if it's okay for him to take swimming lesson now or we wait he is a few years older or even when he is a teen?
8/16/2013
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Hi.

Dr. A. Clark :

There is no reason not to take swimming lessons as I

Dr. A. Clark :

I'm a strong advocate that every child needs to learn to swim as early as possible.

Dr. A. Clark :

Swimming does not promote colds and the only issue sometimes is with the chlorine odor in indoor facilities, especially those that use gas chlorination.

Dr. A. Clark :

So bottom line, get him swimming as exercise is great for asthmatics anyway.

Customer:

hello

Dr. A. Clark :

Hello.

Customer:

what happen was last time when he took swimming lesson for the first time, when he got up he noticed he was

shivering

Customer:

not sure if he was cold or he might be just scared

Dr. A. Clark :

Shivering is a natural response to cold but that is different than having a viral "cold" or upper respiratory infection and will not cause his asthma to flare up.

Customer:

got it. thanks for you advise.

Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician