Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 3 year old son is very rough and tumble and has 3 good

bruises on his left shin...
My 3 year old son is very rough and tumble and has 3 good bruises on his left shin and several (maybe 8) on his right. Not really on other parts of his body. Just noticing a lot on his shins lately. Is this normal or concerning for blood disease?
Good appetite, energy, no fever.
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/11/2013
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

This is completely normal for a toddler as active as he is. Bruises over bones are normal and we only become concerned when we see abnormal bleeding over soft areas of the body or bleeding from the gums after brushing his teeth, etc.

Customer: Bleeding over soft areas?
Dr. A. Clark :

Yes, such as over his stomach, chest, etc.

Dr. A. Clark :

It's hard to find a kid his age without bruises on their shins!

Customer: ok. He's had a few bruises on his back. None now. I'm a checker... He's a somersaulter
Customer: sosomersaulted so, stomach, chest, buttocks...
Customer: face
Dr. A. Clark :

Bruises over the spine are common too from sliding down over hard furniture, falls, etc. Again, where there is no padding bruises form easily.

Customer: his are definitely shins and one on the inside of each knee
Dr. A. Clark :

Then you need not worry.

Customer: other very small random ones on arm, etc...
Dr. A. Clark :

Right. Normal and I'm sure he is fine.

Dr. A. Clark :

I worry more about kids without bruises for not being allowed to have any fun.

Customer: great. Finally, my big concern is leukemia. It freaks me out. Would there be other signs first?
Dr. A. Clark :

Kids with leukemia are very ill: fever, pale, bruising everywhere, etc.

Dr. A. Clark :

That is the last thing I think of with kids like him.

Customer: Thank you! And fair skin is not pale, correct? I'm a sun protector and my boy loves his hat!
Dr. A. Clark :

Yes. No worries.

Customer: i supplement with vitamin d
Dr. A. Clark :

No problem.

Customer: Ok, so as long as he is healthy and not showing other signs of illness and bruising in odd places, don't worry about this?
Dr. A. Clark :

Correct. I would not worry at all.

Customer: he played super hard with his cousin last night, slept less than usual and is 3.5 hours into a nap. Just best?
Customer: just beat...
Dr. A. Clark :

Sounds like a normal toddler.

Customer: thank you.
Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome. Have a good evening.

Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Hi Doc. I'm asking you continuing questions because if I ask a new question, it doesn't always go to you - even if I ask in the "ask this doctor another question" box....
How many hours is normal for a 1 month old to sleep? My boy sleeps a ton. Probably 18 hours +. I will properly log it in next 24 hours.
Eating great. Peeing and pooping a ton. Mostly lots of yellow poo. Occasional greenish...looks fabulous. Growing. Easily roused. Startles well. Slept well last night for first time and sleeping most of today, but eating great when I put him to breast.
It is normal for babies to sleep that much but most don't. Just enjoy it while it lasts as he will soon be sleeping a lot less and awake a lot more. As long as he is eating well and pooping and peeing well you need not worry.
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician