Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 5 1/2 months old daughter has caught a cold. It has been

going on for 6 days...
My 5 1/2 months old daughter has caught a cold. It has been going on for 6 days now. She doesn't seem to be getting better. She has a lot of mucus around her throat area and coughs once or twice a hour. She has a lot of snot and sometimes get a stuffed nose. We use Nosefrida The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator to suck out all the snot when her nose is stuffed.
Other than running/stuffed nose and cough with the sound of mucus in her throat, she haven't had a fever and has been normal feeding (breastfeeding). A bit more fussy when she is unable to sleep due to her stuffed nose.
How long should I wait until I see her doctor? Also, what signs should I watch out for to get her medical help. I know it is very common, but I'm just a worried parent.
Also, my wife has been sick with the cold for a week. Should she distance her with our daughter a bit until both of them are recovered?
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/28/2013
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Dr. A. Clark :

I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

I understand your concern, especially as Dad and having both your wife and baby sick.

Dr. A. Clark :

As long as she is not running fever, is able to eat ok, and is breathing normally then you can continue to watch her. If she starts running fever or cannot eat due to breathing rapidly or no appetite then you need to take her in.

Dr. A. Clark :

In the meantime, since there are no medications for colds in babies her age, just keep her nose suctioned out and prop the head of her bed up or let her sleep in a car or infant seat when she sleeps. A cool mist humidifier is very helpful too to keep her mucous from becoming thick.

Dr. A. Clark :

I see you are offline still but I will watch for your return to chat with any questions.

Please let me know if you want to continue our consult.
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
I remain ready to assist you and hope you will return to our conversation so that I can complete our consultation. Thank you.

I have already given a rating of "Excellent Service" your answer was what I was looking for.

Thanks, ***** ***** showed up on my side and sorry for the reminders. This service still has a few quirks but I hope you feel free to ask for me the next time you need pediatric advice.
I hope your child is doing well but if you ever have any other problems for which you'd like my advice please feel free to reply here or with a new question, asking for me by name. Have a great day and my best to your family.
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician