Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My baby is 5 months old now. He has started fussing to go to

sleep. Initially I htought it...
My baby is 5 months old now. He has started fussing to go to sleep. Initially I htought it was because he was overly tired but even after I tried to put him to sleep earlier he still fusses. Sometimes the fussing becomes full fledged crying. And at the end of the crying he sleeps. This has been happening for the past 4 days. Is this normal?
7/27/2013
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SS. I will try my best to help you.
How many hours does he sleep normally?
How is his stool? Does he pass gas?
How is burping?

He is passing gas but not too much. He sleeps through the night. About 8 hrs at least. Afternoon naps are between 20 mins to 2 hrs. Stool is normal.

Thank you for the input.
In this age babies can be a little fussy.
Please do burping a little more.
Do not put to sleep immediately after feed.
Please check your diet too.
You can check whether diet is causing the issue. Sometimes beans, cabbage, broccoli, caffeine or milk products in mother's diet can pass through mother's milk & can produce gas in babies. But it does not always happen. Just keep an eye & watch.
Simethicone drop can help to reduce gas if he is having excessive gas.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask & continue conversation by using reply button.
This will help me to explain further & satisfy you.
Wish his healthy life.
Regards.

It doesnt feel like gas. Could there be any other reason? He is not sick or anything is he? I am more worried because we hired a new nanny and I am concerned that she may have mis handled him. He is refusing to sleep in his favorite rocking chair.

It is good that there is no gas issue.
As I said, in this age the baby can be a little fussy.
Babies do recognize faces.
I hope he will adjust with new nanny soon.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician