Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

>My 15mth old son has developed a virus, which has led him

gt;My 15mth old son has...
gt;My 15mth old son has developed a virus, which has led him to have diarrhea since Sun. July 13th. He seems to be improving but he is still having diarrhea and his stomach seems so bloated. I brought my pediatrician stool samples Mon but have not received results. Is this normal?!
7/24/2013
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
Dr. A. Clark :

Hi. I'm Dr. Clark and I'm happy that you have asked me to assist you with your child and hope that you can benefit from my many years of helping parents like you.

Dr. A. Clark :

I doubt the stool tests will show anything as essentially all diarrhea in infants and toddlers is due to a virus so nothing shows up on the tests.

Dr. A. Clark :

The most likely reason he is still having loose stools is due to the loss of some of the absorptive layer of cells in the bowel that allow us to break down sugars and other compounds so they can be absorbed. Lactase enzyme is secreted by these cells and thus lactose intolerance is common after a virus and dairy products can cause him to continue to have diarrhea.

Dr. A. Clark :

Other enzymes the body needs to absorb the various sugars and other carbohydrates may be impaired as well so fruit juices can be a problem too.

Dr. A. Clark :

I see you are typing so I'll stand by.

Customer:

As adviced by my pediatrician haven't given him dairy mainly just pedialyte. He is eating but everything goes right through him. my only concern is how long can this go on without a real concern?

Dr. A. Clark :

You should give him his normal foods but might avoid juices as well as the dairy products for a while. It can take some babies 2-3 weeks to recover the lining of their intestines and until the soft or even runny stools are common and you will even see undigested food in his diaper.

Customer:

I do see undigested food and with his stomach being so bloated that's normal?

Dr. A. Clark :

This is due to the fact that when food cannot be digested the bacteria in the stool begin to attack it by fermentation, which causes gas, bloating, cramping and loose stools.

Dr. A. Clark :

Apple, white grape and pear juice have lots of fructose (fruit sugar) and sorbitol, both of which can cause these symptoms so you should avoid them along with dairy products.

Customer:

Ok thank you so much that was very helpful.

Dr. A. Clark :

Be sure to check the labels of all foods and drinks you give him and avoid anything with fructose (including high fructose corn syrup) and fructose in them.

Customer:

ok thanks again

Dr. A. Clark :

You are quite welcome and he will get over this soon. When he is better you may reintroduce these foods slowly and he should be fine.

Dr. A. Clark :
Please remember as you exit chat to rate my service as that is the only way experts are compensated for their time! If you feel unsatisfied with my answer at all please don't exit but just hit the REPLY tab and let me know of the issue or question that you have. I will be happy to continue working with you and will do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek and I hope that I can earn an excellent rating from you.

Dr. A. Clark :

Is there anything else I can assist you with? Chat will time us out and kick us off after 4 minutes if neither of us responds but I'm happy to stand by as long as you need me too.

Dr. A. Clark :

I hope you clicked "bad service" by mistake but if not please let me know how else I can assist you to earn a good rating.

Dr. A. Clark :

Please let me know how I failed to meet your expectations.

Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician
I checked back and see you rated my service as excellent and I thank you. We have complained to JustAnswer about customers like you who appear to inadvertently click the wrong rating but it seems to happen often.
Again, thanks for the excellent rating and I wish you and your child well.
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark
Dr. A. Clark, Pediatrician