Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My son is currently getting over a viral infection. We have

My son is currently getting...
My son is currently getting over a viral infection. We have currently visited his pediatrician twice and an emergency pediatrics facility twice. He had several days of diarrhea and declining appetite. Last night he threw up, prompting the night time pediatrics visit. Today, his demeanor has improved, as has his appetite continuously and he had his first solid poop in several days. Unfortunately this poop was white/pale and all the information I can find online says that this indicates issues with the liver. My wife says she found something indicating too much milk in the diet which has been his primary source of nutrition the past several days. Is this cause for concern, the pediatrician indicated that a solid poop was a good progression but the information online suggesting lack of bile in the liver are concerning?
6/28/2013
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. SS. I will try my best to help you.
How was the color of the previous stools?
Which medicines did he take?
How old is he?
Is there any other symptom?

The diarrhea (previous stool) was a light yellow.

Only taken dimetapp for medication.

He is 21 months.

Approximately eleven days ago he has congestion, runny nose and cough. That ended about nine days ago and then he had been very lethargic and loss of appetite, diarrhea for several days then one vomit last night.

Hello Jessica,
Thank you for the input.
White stool can occur when there is lack of bile, liver disease as you have read.
Bile secreted from the liver is stored in gall bladder to be released when food enters the gut or intestine. With the help of intestinal bacteria it gives the stool its normal color.
In case of bowel infection or diarrhea bile can not mix well. Stool can become white.
It may also occur with medication like antibiotics but he has not taken any.
Passing one white stool is not worrying. It is good that his stool is getting formed which is a sign of improvement.
If the color is persistently white, then you need to consult doctor again.
If needed, doctor can do blood test and ultrasonography of liver.
At this point you need not to worry.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask & continue conversation by using reply button.
This will help me to explain further & satisfy you.
Wish his healthy life.
Warm regards.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician