Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

Should I get tested for strep throat? I've had a

Should I get tested for...
Should I get tested for strep throat? I've had a mild-moderate sore throat for at least a couple of weeks. Hoarse for the past few days. Just noticed that my throat glands are sore. For one week now, I have also had a productive cough (yellow phlegm). No fever, no rash, no other symptoms.
5/2/2013
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Dr. SS :

Greetings,

Dr. SS :

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. SS :

I am Dr. SS. I will try my best to help you.

Customer:

Thanks!

Dr. SS :

How much phlegm is coming out?

Dr. SS :

Do you have any other symptom?

Customer:

Not too much. Just a little on kleenex when I cough. Only symptoms really are cough, sore throat, hoarseness, and tender glands.

Dr. SS :

Is there any shortness of breath, fever?

Customer:

No.

Dr. SS :

I would suggest to take an examination by doctor.

Dr. SS :

There can be a bacterial infection like strep.

Dr. SS :

You can need antibiotics.

Dr. SS :

Viral one usually gets over within a week.

Customer:

Two questions: 1. Isn't it unusual for a strep throat to last so long?

Customer:

2. I've had this sore throat for at least two weeks. Does that mean that even with antibiotic treatment at this point I'll be at some small risk for complications like rheumatic fever, etc.?

Dr. SS :

It depends on different factors. Sometimes, immune system of the body can fight it out.

Dr. SS :

In some cases it can persist.

Dr. SS :

Early start of treatment helps to cure it. Risk of rheumatic fever is less at this age.

Dr. SS :

It is common in 5-15 years.

Customer:

That's reassuring--thanks.

Dr. SS :

You are welcome.

Dr. SS :

Actually rheumatic fever is rare after 35 years of age.

Dr. SS :
I shall try to give you excellent service.
Dr. SS :

Best wishes.

Dr. SS :

Wish your healthy life and early recovery.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Hi Kristin,
I just wanted to check that everything is fine.
If you need any other help, please let me know.
Dr SS
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician