Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My son has a persistent dry cough at night and is very very

Hi, my son has a...
Hi, my son has a persistent dry cough at night and is very very pale. He is not drinking as much fluids as normal. He was drinking a milk substitute infant whole food formulae 3x a day (to ensure he got 600ml calcium daily - he has a severe milk and egg allergy), but won't drink it now.
He has had the cough for about 8 weeks and it is not bad, but not going away. His sleep patterns are also disrupted - not wanting to go to sleep until late , waking upbduring the night then falling asleep during the day ( previously would sleep from 7.30pm to 7am without waking). He is 3.5 yrs old.
He is otherwise o.k - do I need to take him to the doctor?
Thanks
4/30/2013
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Dr. SS :

Greetings,

Dr. SS :

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. SS :

I am Dr. SS. I will try my best to help you.

Dr. SS :

Since when he is pale looking?

Customer: I have noticed he very pale for the past few days
Dr. SS :

Does he have fever?

Customer: No fever and not lethargic ( other than disrupted sleep patterns)
Dr. SS :

How is his food intake. Does he take meat, fish, vegetables?

Customer: Hi, yes we don't eat much fish but eat chicken, pork, lamb, beef with either salad or vegetables every night. He eats two pieces of fruit a day (banana and an apple typically) , porridge for breakfast and sandwich for lunch.
Dr. SS :

Coughing for 8 weeks should be checked by doctor.

Dr. SS :

There can be an infection.

Dr. SS :

Allergy can also cause cough.

Dr. SS :

In infection the child can lose some appetite. Please try to give him adequate fluid.

Dr. SS :

Pallor can come if he is anemic or have low hemoglobin in the blood.

Customer: What could cause him to be so pale?
Dr. SS :

Anemia can cause him to be pale.

Dr. SS :

Infection can lead to anemia.

Dr. SS :

Sleep problem can occur from coughing.

Dr. SS :

So he can feel drowsy at day time.

Dr. SS :

I would suggest to get him examined by doctor.

Dr. SS :
I shall try to give you excellent service.

If you need any more help please let me know.
Customer: Will he need a blood test? Can his allergies ( he gets eczema and diagnosed with itchy skin condition from dermatologist ) cause him to not absorb iron?
Dr. SS :

He is likely to get a blood test.

Dr. SS :

Doctor would check hemoglobin, blood counts.

Dr. SS :

Eczema is not directly related.

Dr. SS :

Some immune mechanism can cause allergy, eczema.

Dr. SS :

If you have any query, please feel free to ask.

Customer: Ok, thanks. Final question - what do you recommend I do to strengthen his immune system. I also have eczema and asthma and allergies etc etc so probably he got it from me genetically , but can I do anything to improve his immune system?
Dr. SS :

You are welcome.

Dr. SS :

The cause is not often clear for eczema.

Dr. SS :

There can be genetic or environmental factors.

Dr. SS :

You need to check whether any thing aggravates his symptom.

Dr. SS :

He needs to avoid that.

Customer: He has had allergy skin priv
Dr. SS :

Allergy, eczema can be associated.

Customer: Prick tests so we avoid all egg and dairy as a result, but I am thinking more from a supplement or diet perspective can I do anything so he gets stronger and grows out of allergies?
Dr. SS :

Supplements would not help.

Dr. SS :

Often allergy gets less when the child grows up.

Dr. SS :

You need to avoid those detected by prick test.

Dr. SS :

Do you have any other query, please ask.

Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician