Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

I keep trying to ask you a question, but it reverts to Dr.,

Hi! I keep trying...
Hi! I keep trying to ask you a question, but it reverts to Dr. Clark, but then says loading data, and the site isn't letting me re-ask you or chat with him either. Odd. Let me know if there is a way to chat with you or e-mail to you? Thanks!!
4/29/2013
Dr. Navitsky
Dr. Navitsky, Board Certified Pediatrician
Jnavits12 :

Hi thanks for the request! I am just about to go to bed but did see your prior question after Dr Clark had already answered so I didn't answer over him. I totally agree with his advice although have never tried using ear anesthetic (Auralgan) on the mouth mucosa but it is lidocaine....similar to the numbing agent in teething preps that I don't tend to see work that well.

Jnavits12 :

I have seen white marks on the cheeks from chewing many times, (and from teeth gritting at night for example). If they are located on the inner cheek area and are not that red around the surface and he is otherwise totally fine with no other lesions they are not likely viral.

Jnavits12 :

I am not a fan of alternating tylenol/motrin as many times sleepy parents get confused which one was last as it all tends to blend together....if you write it down go ahead, make sure you give dose appropriate for weight.

Jnavits12 :

You can also try to have him chew on things that may help the teeth break through the gums such as slightly harder teething crackers/cookies or whatever you have that you think he would be able to tolerate....right now my son is also teething and using his own fingers or anyone elses body parts for this purpose!!

Jnavits12 :

Popsicles may help numb the area as well if you make them into a slushy/chunks he should be able to eat them

Jnavits12 :

I have used liquid benadryl mixed with liquid maalox in a one to one prep on mouth ulcers before (when kids are older we also add the viscous liquid lidocaine) and it does work.

Customer:

oh my gosh, thank you for all of this help! I couldn't get a reply from Dr. Clark with instant chat and thought that something with either my computer or the site was up. So, you would agree with rubbing the benadryl on the gums? Great, will do all of the above that you suggest! Anyway, YOU GO TO BED! :) I'm sure you'll be up in 4 hours with your 11 month old and his teething .... as always, thanks for your fabulous help.

Jnavits12 :

Avoid citrus type things or acidic things that can burn when going through the raw skin...the ulcers if from chewing on his cheek heal fast and you will see the white stuff get a bit thicker in a day or less as long as he isn't continuing to chew on it...which of course you can't prevent unfortunately.

Jnavits12 :

Ha! cross your fingers he has slept through for the last few nights (although not his sisters!) I think the site was having some delays as we had a notice. Dr Clark is very thorough in his responses and likely will get back to you when he is able to so keep an eye on your e-mail. If you just have the benadryl go ahead and try it by itself if no maalox is available...it is like a slimy coating that keeps things off the skin...

Jnavits12 :

Another trick which you can try is a wet washcloth placed in the freezer that he can try to chew on....my kids never went for this one but it is cold to the area that is among the best numbing agents there is!

Customer:

Oh gosh, when it's not one it's another for you. It's been 3 or 4x per night for me. poor guy. Ok, all of the above is great-- thank you thank you!! You need to sleep now -- doctors orders :)

Jnavits12 :

Thanks! I will cross my fingers for a better night for you...it is amazing how such little sleep really zaps all of your energy! Good luck and let me know if you need more help tomorrow by just replying to this thread. Night!

Dr. Navitsky
Dr. Navitsky
Dr. Navitsky