Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

I have a question. My daughter went to her 4 year well baby

checkup mad weighed 34.2. (42%)...
I have a question. My daughter went to her 4 year well baby checkup mad weighed 34.2. (42%). She went in November for a sick visit and weighed 36, in January she weighed 35.8, I took her for weight check in February (bc I was paranoid, not bc they asked me to bring her back) and she was 36 again. She had a dental visit today for a crown and I took her by pediatrics to weigh her bc they needed to know how much she weighed because they were giving her valium. She weighed 36.4 (34%). That's only like 2.2 pounds in 9 months. They say they average 4-6 pounds in a year. Is that too low of a weight gain?
4/9/2013
BabyMD3
BabyMD3, Board Certified Pediatrician
BabyMD3 :

Hi! I would like to help you with your question.

BabyMD3 :

It appears as though you are offline so I will switch us to the Q & A format so that I can answer your question as completely as possible for you...

Customer:

Hello...

You still there?

Here is a link to the CDC growth charts for children: http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/clinical_charts.htm
If you scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the chart for girls age 2 - 20yo length and weight, then the PDF file will open. Pay close attention to the years 2 - 6 or 7yo (so before puberty) the weight gain is almost flat as the rate of growth and weight gain in that age group is much less than in the first 6mo or year of life or when puberty kicks in. It sounds as though overall your daughter is gaining weight appropriately but your Pediatrician would be the best judge of that as they have all of her growth parameters including her current height and weight and her previous growth chart entries. As long as she is growing and developing well and eating healthy foods, she should be just fine. Just make sure you take her in for her scheduled well child check ups as recommended and discuss any concerns with your Pediatrician.
I hope that this helps you with your question. Please let me know if you need more clarification...

well she's really active and really picky about what she eats. The same thing happened when she was 3 with her height. She was at 35% and dropped to 18% at her 3 baby check up. Her ped assured me it was fine and at that age she gets into her own pattern and it does play a big role in height. But her height has been the same area ever since. She has grown a lot in height this year too. Already 3 inches in 9 months!

So she's back in the 32 nd percentile for height!

that is great news! She is getting enough nutrition to grow taller so I wouldn't be too worried about her eating habits. If you aren't already giving her multivitamins, you may want to consider doing that to compensate for her pickiness right now just to make sure that she isn't missing anything but it sounds like your fine! Just keep offering her healthy things. It can take up to 12 or 15 tries for a child to accept a new food so don't give up! Don't make a big deal about it. Just put it on her plate and call it a day. Don't force it. At this age they can only control two things - what goes in and what comes out. Sometimes they just say no to assert themselves - it's a normal part of development (frustrating but normal).

She was always height no weight at one visit and weight no height next visit! So maybe this is her height no weight time! She has also had 8 cavities filled and 1 crown since January! Maybe that's part of it. The stressor I mean!

Well as long as she stays within her percentile range as she is now then she should be fine. We get concerned if you drop two percentiles below where you were previously. Hopefully she will settle into a more predictable pattern now so it won't be a stressor for you too! I agree. That is a lot of dental work. Just keep doing what you are doing and she should be fine from here on out...

So 42% to 34% is not bad right...she didn't even cross a curve! I know they say they worry when the cross 2 lines and even sometimes It is normal. My niece dropped off. They ran all these tests and nothing. Her ped got to looking at it and he said she has grown about the same rate as always, she just grows so little at the time she kinda fell off the chart. That was 3 years ago and she's still tiny but growing!

One last thing and I will get off here! :) So you think it's fine she's only gained 2.2 pounds in 9 months? I mean nothing for me to worry about right? And she always goes to all her well baby's! But when you said "make sure to go to them" you weren't meaning that out of worry...you were just meaning that in general like all kids need to go to well baby checkups so they can be measured how they are growing right?

Exactly!!!
BabyMD3
BabyMD3, Board Certified Pediatrician

I pulled her card from her well baby in July and I was wrong. She was 34.4, nit 34.2 she was 45% NOT 42% does that make a difference or is your answer still the same?

My answer would still be the same. As long as she was in the same percentile range (25 - 50th) then I am comfortable with her growth and weight gain. If she were to start dropping down near or below the 10th percentile, then I would be concerned. We become concerned if a child drops two percentile lines down from their baseline. She is probably still just settling in to her growth pattern like your Pediatrician said. No need to be worried. I hope that this helps! Let me know if you need anything further.

He said that about "settling in" when her height dropped, but now her height is almost back up to where it was. Or does the settling in go for both height and weight?

Hi!
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. How is your child doing? Did my answer help?
Let me know,
BabyMD3

I responded earlier...see above! :)

I see. If all goes well, the two should correlate. You don't want to continue to gain weight at the same rate if your height is slowing down a bit and vice versa. Remember the growth chart and how both the height and weight flatten out and slow down a bit between 4yo and puberty? Everything should flow together.... I hope that helps!

So you are saying the settling in that he said was meant for both height and weight? Not just height!

Yep!

Ok so bc her height went from 35th to 18th, but her weight stayed in the 40s....now her height is back up to the 30s and her weight is now in the 30s...so they are evening out now and she's around about the same place for height and weight (they are finally not on two different ends of the spectrum) so now she's finding her "settling pattern" curve for height and weight! So maybe that's why her weight slowed down and height increased so they would catchup to each other?

I know your tired of me responding! But last response I promise!! Just wanting to ASK if that was normal for her weight to slow down and her height to speed/catch up so they could be closer in percentiles? Just reading what u said about "you don't want their weight to continue to gain at the same pace and the height to slow down and vice versa" but that's kinda what happened...her height sped up and weight slowed down, but now they are at about the spot! But if I'm understanding you correctly u were saying her height shouldnt go to from 18 to 65 and her weight go from 45 to 9...right? But what happened with her was ok because the height caught up to the weight and the weight went down a bit to catch up with the height?

??

Ok! Apologies for the delayed response. I have been having computer issues. Yes you are right. I was referring to a child becoming obese, for instance, because they are overeating and not using all of the calories that they are consuming so that their weight gain continues at a rate greater than what is appropriate for their current height and rate of growth. I think your daughter is just fine and it sounds like she eats properly so she should continue to grow appropriately.

Ok! So it was normal for her height to speed up and weight to slow down so they could even out?

BabyMD3
BabyMD3
BabyMD3, Board Certified Pediatrician