Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

What should I watch for in buying baby formula for newborn.

do you have a suggestion...
what should I watch for in buying baby formula for newborn.
do you have a suggestion a couple of the better formulas
also is there a place online that is really good to buy from?
11/10/2012
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Greetings,
Thanks for using Just Answer. I am Dr. SS. I will try my best to help you.This is INFORMATION only, not a substitute for doctor's visit.
In which country are you now? Did doctor prescribe any formula feeding? How is breast milk of mother?

we are working in shanghai now. we don't trust the products here so buy our formula from the US online and have it shipped here. mother breast milk is fine except she is not producing enough for the boy.

Thank you for the input.
For a 3 day old baby, mother's milk is best. It is enough in most cases. I feel she should try that. It is usually sufficient for the first few months. Breast feeding should be adequate for the newborn baby. For first few days milk can be less. But if the baby sucks well, more milk will be produced to meet the demand. Sometimes baby can be habituated with bottle feed which is easy to suck, in that case, the baby can refuse breast feeding. Similac Advance is good to start. You can keep at hand. If it necessary, it can be given. But it should not be used if it is not required.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask and continue conversation by using REPLY button. This will help me to explain further & satisfy you. PLEASE DO NOT RATE MY ANSWER TILL YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE and rate it as EXCELLENT / GOOD SERVICE when you are satisfied.
Regards.
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Hello & welcome to Just Answer!
If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.
I would recommend Drugstore.com for buying baby formula from the USA.
http://www.drugstore.com/baby-and-mom/formula-and-baby-food/qxg180660-0
They can ship Internationally through Myus.com ...
http://drugstore.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1215
Warm regards
Dr Gupta
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician