How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gupta Your Own Question
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Category: Pediatrics
Satisfied Customers: 8002
Experience:  MD, practicing Pediatrician with 19 years of experience. Member American Academy of Pediatrics.
Type Your Pediatrics Question Here...
Dr. Gupta is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandaughter recently went to the ER and they said she has

This answer was rated:

My grandaughter recently went to the ER and they said she has a yeast infection at a year old. They recomended we use Desitin max strenght creme. Is there something we can use to help with the itch?
Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

In addition, the following may help your baby feel better, speed up the eradication of the infection, and prevent it from recurring:
• Change diapers immediately when your baby's wet or soiled.
• Coat baby's bottom with a diaper ointment between changes.
• Avoid using diaper wipes with ingredients that may cause stinging.
• Let your baby's bottom dry thoroughly before re-diapering, and allow your baby to be naked for a time during the day.
• Avoid using plastic diaper covers. Instead, use coverings that allow air to circulate, or go cover-less if you're not expecting a big poop anytime soon.
• Wash cloth diapers, cloth wipes, towels, and washcloths in very hot water to remove all traces of the yeast. A vinegar rinse will complete the disinfecting process.
You can take any anti-allergy medication like cetirizine, unfortunately at this age it would have to be prescribed by your pediatrician,
Another option would be to add an antifungal / steroid cream for the same,
However again this would have to be prescribed by your doctor.
Let me know if need additional inputs,
Warm regards

Dr. Gupta and other Pediatrics Specialists are ready to help you