Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 8 year old daughter has excessive hair all over her body

Customer Question
and general itchy and dry...
my 8 year old daughter has excessive hair all over her body and general itchy and dry skin, I have been referred to take her to an endocrinologist, does that sound right to you and do you have any idea what it could be?
Many thanks
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
3/30/2012
Pediatrician: Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician replied 5 years ago
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

Customer:

I cannot see an answer to my question?

PediatricMD :

PediatricMD :

are you there

PediatricMD :

Customer:

yes I am

PediatricMD :

Ok

PediatricMD :

How much excessive hair does your daughter have ...

PediatricMD :

and any area where they are more prominent

PediatricMD :

and has she any other significant medical history

PediatricMD :

and how long has she been having these ?

Customer:

quite a lot and on her arms, legs back and face, she has had this since childhood and was born 1 month early

PediatricMD :

and are these short colorless fine hair

PediatricMD :

?

PediatricMD :

or longer darker coarser hair ?

Customer:

no they are the same colour has her normal hair and are not short

PediatricMD :

Ok

PediatricMD :

There are many reasons why your daughter may seem to have excess body hair or hirsutism

PediatricMD :

1. Inherited tendency: in some girls of certain families or races, the skin is very sensitive to even low levels of androgens. If other female members of your family suffer with hirsutism your daughter may be at a greater risk of developing it.

Customer:

no nobody in my family or my husbands has this

PediatricMD :

2. Disorders of the adrenal glands or ovarian tumours: rarely these can cause over production of androgens leading to hirsutism.

Customer:

so is an endocrinologist the right person to diagnose this?

PediatricMD :

3. Other rare causes like hormonal disturbances, etc. are less likely

PediatricMD :

but if there is a significant problem then an endocrine problem needs to be ruled out ,

PediatricMD :

Yes, the referral is appropriate in this situation

PediatricMD :

Is there anything else that I can help you with ?

Customer:

so you think it could be a hormonal problem

Customer:

what is an endocrine problem and how likely is an 8 year old to have it

PediatricMD :

An endocrinologist refers to a specialist who deals with hormonal problems

Customer:

i am not sure my private insurance will cover this is there anyway around this?

Customer:

and why would her skin be itchy and dry

PediatricMD :

There could be problems related to her thyroid hormone, reproductive hormones, adrenal hormones, and conditions like Congenital adrenal hyperplasia etc. that need to be ruled out with this referral,

Customer:

ok thanks for your help.

PediatricMD :

I believe that it is likely that the results would be normal, and in her case no specific cause may be found

PediatricMD :

given the fact that this is something that has been going on since birth

PediatricMD :

but we should make sure :)

Customer:

so what I can do about it

Customer:

if I get the hair removed is it likely to grow back the same?

PediatricMD :

You need to get her to the endocrinologist, and get the tests as per the clinical examination and their opinion, and then depending on the results take it from there

PediatricMD :

That would depend on the cause, and the technique of hair removal

PediatricMD :

I would recommend waiting till the endocrine consultation before going ahead with the removal of the hair,

Customer:

ok I will look into it. thanks for your help, she is getting more worried about it as she gets older and is being teased in school

PediatricMD :

I would recommend that you look at this link regarding the various causes and treatment options

PediatricMD :

You are welcome :)

Customer:

thank u.

PediatricMD :

Don't worry too much, I believe that it is likely that this will improve with puberty, and there is no specific cause,

PediatricMD :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications

Customer:

ok thanks

Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician