Pediatrics

Have pediatric questions? Ask a pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Is Adult Nyquil Bad For Kids?

I gave my 3-year old...
I gave my 3-year old 1/2 teaspoon of adult Nyquil this evening (for his cough/cold) and now I'm reading (online) that it is very bad to do this. I've never done it before, and I will not do it again. Will he be okay?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2012
David L. Hill, MD, FAAP
David L. Hill, MD, FAAP : Hi, and welcome to Just Answer! How is your son doing now?
JACUSTOMER-ttsjolxj- : He's fine. In fact he's still coughing a little bit, but he's acting totally normal... He's in bed right now. I gave it to him about an hour and 15 minutes ago and he's still semi-awake, which is also normal for him.
David L. Hill, MD, FAAP : At his age a single half teaspoon of Nyquil is unlikely to cause any problem. You might want to check on him in an hour or two and make sure you can wake him up, but otherwise he's likely to be just fine. As you've (now) read, we discourage the use of any cough/cold medicines in children, especially kids under age four. It turns out they don't really do what they're supposed to, at least in kids, and the risk of overdose and side effects outweighs any possible benefit. But you're all over it now!
JACUSTOMER-ttsjolxj- : Whew. I will probably check on him every hour for the next 6 hours just to make sure (I won't wake him up though). Is there a night-time medicine for children that can help suppress cough and soothe a dry sore throat?
David L. Hill, MD, FAAP : As a father of three I wish there was! It turns out that in head-to-head comparison plain old honey works better than any bottled cough medicine. I'd go with the honey bear and a teaspoon. A humidifier might also help, although the studies are not so definitive here. One study showed Vick's Vapo-Rub was helpful as well.
JACUSTOMER-ttsjolxj- : I usually use honey, but I ran out earlier this evening, and I had nothing else to offer (hence the decision to use the Nyquil). I do have a humidifier going in his room too. He seems like he's asleep, but he's coughing still. Maybe I'm more upset about it than he is.
David L. Hill, MD, FAAP : That's likely! In most cases coughs are due to simple viral illnesses. If you perceive any wheezing or difficulty breathing you might want to have him checked out for asthma. Fever lasting more than three days, occurring late in the illness, or over 104 degrees may suggest a pneumonia. But if this looks and acts like a cold, I'd say you should take advantage of his sleep to get some rest yourself!
JACUSTOMER-ttsjolxj- : LOL.. thanks so much. I really appreciate your feedback and help. I think I'll take your advice. :-)
David L. Hill, MD, FAAP : Thank you. Take care
JACUSTOMER-ttsjolxj- : You too!
David L. Hill, MD, FAAP
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.

When did you give it?

Does he have any symptom?

Regards.