Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

I gave my 13 year old son tylenol and motrin. I am following

Customer Question
I gave my 13 year...
I gave my 13 year old son tylenol and motrin. I am following the recommend dosage for each bottle. Is this safe?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
2/21/2012
Pediatrician: Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician replied 5 years ago
Dr. Gupta
Dr. Gupta, Pediatrician
PediatricMD :

Hello & welcome to Just Answer!

If you have any questions after reading my answer, be sure to let me know.

PediatricMD :

Yes it is safe, as long as you do not exceed the dosage for each

PediatricMD :

Of course you need to make sure that if the persists, then a pediatric consultation is taken to find the cause of the fever, and appropriate tests / medications used as needed

PediatricMD :

But, using both together in appropriate doses is generally considered safe,

PediatricMD :

Please remember to accept the answer by pressing the GREEN accept button, do get back for any clarifications

Relist: Incomplete answer.
my son who is 13 years old has 104 fewer I a gave him
4am 2 tablets of tylenol
8am 2 tablets of motrin
6pm 2 tablets of tylenol
midnight 2 tablets of motrin is this safe?
Pediatrician: Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician replied 5 years ago
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Hello, Please post what is the weight of your son and what is the strength of each tablet in milligrams. Dose of tylenol is 15 mg to each Kg of bodyweight every 4-5 hours, and for motrin it is 10 mg to each Kg weight every 8 hours. Either of these (or both together) can be given if temperature reading exceeds 101. These are safe drugs for relief of symptom while child is under observation for possible viral infective illness. Blood, urine, throat swab etc tests are required after 3-4 days, to rule out bacterial illness.

his weight is 120 lbs. the tablets are:

motrin 200mg per tablet

tylenol 325 mg per tablet

If my calucaltions are correct he received

4am tylenol 650 mg

8am motrin 400 mg

6pm tylenol 650 mg

midnight tonight 400 mg

it appears that according to your calculations these doses were safe?

indeed. You are doing fine.
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Please click on 'accept' button to allow website to pay my fee.
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician