Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

What do I do about an 8 year old with 104 fever

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
7/10/2011
Pediatrician: Hilary, Pediatrician replied 6 years ago
Hilary
Hilary, Pediatrician
Hilary :

Does she have any complaints such as headache, sore throat, cough, vomiting, diarrhea? when did the fever begin? what does she weigh and how much tylenol did you give.

Customer: She weighs 49lbs. We gave her 2 teaspoons of childrens Tylenol.
Hilary :

that is the correct dose. you can give tylenol every 4 hours and motrin every 6 hours

Customer: My son was recently sick and diagnosed with Herpangina but his fever didn't rise this high.
Hilary :

some children are prone to higher fevers. the 104 temp is not concerning to me, it is just whether the diagnosis is viral or whether she needs antibiotics. does she have any symptoms?

Hilary :

when the temps rise above 105 we start to get concerned

Customer: Should I give her a cool bath.
Hilary :

you certainly can - luke warm, not cold

Customer: She complains of a headache but the tylenol helps
Hilary :

is that her only complaint and how long has the fever been going on?

Customer: Ill start alternating the motrin
Customer: Shes had fever since last night but not this high
Hilary :

ok so the fever has been for less than 24 hours so far. If the fever persists for more than 3 days or rises above 105, she needs to see a doctor.

Hilary :

If she starts to have other symptoms with the fever such as sore throat, vomiting, severe headache, she should then see the doctor as well

Customer: Ok. When do I start alternating the motrin? I just gave her the Tylenol 15 minutes ago
Hilary :

for now, 2 tsp of tylenol or motrin can be alternated at least 1-2 hours apart from each other and tylenol no more often than every 4 hours and motrin no sooner than every 6 hours

Hilary :

keep her hydrated with lots of fluids, ice pops etc

Hilary :

if she is not eating as well, dont push it

Customer: Great, thanks. We've done the whole emergency room thing years ago but they didn't do anything more than we could at home. I'll keep her hydrated and continue alternating meds until tomorrow. Well take her to the family pediatrician. Thanks so much
Hilary :

is there anything else that I can answer for you today. you are very welcome

Customer: No. I think we are good. I'm sure the motrin will help. Thanks again.
Hilary :

great. thanks

Hilary :

Hope things are well, and she is feeling better. I would appreciate if you can click accept so that I can get credit for my time. Thanks

Hilary :

hope your daughter is feeling better today and that the fever is lower.

Hilary
Hilary, Pediatrician
Hilary
Hilary
Hilary, Pediatrician