Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 6 year old daughter is complaining of pain in her left

Customer Question
My 6 year old daughter...

My 6 year old daughter is complaining of pain in her left side, also pain in her shoulder. I thought possibly a pulled muscle. She is having regular bowel movements and no fever. She has trouble standing up straight sometimes

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
6/15/2011
Pediatrician: Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor replied 6 years ago
Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Hello, How long has she had the pain? Any chronic medical issues?

Customer:

It has been on and off since last night. No she is very healthy

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Where exactly on her left side? What makes the pain worse or better? Any fever, cough any other symptoms?

Customer:

about and inch or two away from her belly button, and into her ribs. I have given her some soda to see if it was gas. No fever or any other symptoms

Customer:

she wants me to rub it to feel better

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Thanks. It may be gas, or a pulled muscle. The medical concern we have with left sided abdominal plus shoulder pain is a possible issue in the spleen. If your daughter's pain is not gone by tomorrow morning, or if it gets worse tonight, she needs to be examined by her pediatrician.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

The trouble standing up straight is a big red flag to me, so please have her checked unless 100% better.

Customer:

A big red flag for what?

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Sorry for the interruption. An issue with the spleen or irritation of the lining of the organs in the abdomen called the peritoneum.

Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor