Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 9 year old son is complaining of severe leg pain in both

Customer Question
lower legs. He is...
My 9 year old son is complaining of severe leg pain in both lower legs. He is an otherwise very active and healthy kid. He has mentioned pain like this a few other times, always at bed time, but tonight seems to be extremely bad and effecting both legs. I gave him Tylenol about 3 hours ago. He is able to sleep, but is restless and moaning in his sleep. He is also complaining of being cold, so I'm not sure if it is related to maybe getting some kind of bug. (Our 4 year old ran a fever one night last week, but woke up feeling okay.) He hasn't ever complained about this kind of pain during the day. Is it just growing pains?
I'm sure this is far fetched, but I am concerned that it could be a symptom of something more serious. I had a student years back who had lukemia. I remember her saying that one of her first symptoms was leg pain. I am sure that sounds a little paranoid, but I am a mom who has lost four children to an "undiagnosed" neurological disorder. I get very scared very fast.
Thank you for your time.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
5/3/2011
Pediatrician: Dr. Su S., Pediatrician replied 6 years ago
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Greetings,

How long the pain is there? How often does it happen? Is there any swelling, redness, weakness? Is there any other symptom? Was any test done? Is there any significant past illness?

Regards.

The pain just started this evening around 6 pm. It has happened maybe 3 o 4 times in the last few months, but he hasn't needed Tylenol for it, and it has been just one leg at a time. There is no swelling, redness, or weakness, other than the fact that he doesn't want to walk on them because of the current pain. No tests have been done, no past significant illness. His only other symptom now is a low fever tonight.(100.8)

Thank you

Thank you for the input.

Sorry for your sufferings. Growing pains are common in children. This can be found in upto 40% of children, though severity can vary. At his age it is probable. However, it is usually a diagnosis of exclusion. You should take him to doctor for an examination when he is having fever too. If he thinks necessary he can take tests. There is no specific treatment for growing pain. Supportive measures like pain medicines, stretching exercise, application of heat, massage etc. are beneficial. One important point is in disease due to muscle or bone , there can be pain on massage. On the other hand, in growing pain it is soothing. Plenty of fluid, vegetables, fruits, vitamin and calcium supplement may be given.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.

Do growing pains typically effect the bone or muscle more? He is having trouble identifying just what part of his lower legs hurt, but seems to indicate the shin rather than the calf area. Also, he just awoke and informed me that he hasn't had water all day, could that contribute?

Thank you again.

It usually affects muscles. Dehydration is a common cause of muscle pain. Pl try to keep him well hydrated.

Could muscle pain be felt in the shin area as well?

Thank you for your patience with all of my questions.

The pain in the shin area can come from muscles attached to the bones. It can come from over activity like running, jumping, excess walking. Sometimes stress fracture may contribute such symptoms. But it usually occurs in one leg.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S.
Dr. Su S., Pediatrician