Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 3 1/2 year old daughter has had a strange foamy-clay

Customer Question
colored diarrhea for the past...
My 3 1/2 year old daughter has had a strange foamy-clay colored diarrhea for the past 3-4 days. She is happy in between bouts, but when she is passing the stool she cries for a few minutes. She says she wants food, but doesn't really eat it and is still drinking small amounts of water. Her urine output is not great and dark in color. She is not running a fever, but prior to this did have a runny nose. Her eyes still look bright and happy, but she likes to sit on her dad or I most of the time. I feel panicked when she is passing the diarrhea...because of her inisistance that it hurts. Her rectal area still looks normal.
Thanks for any input you can give me.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
2/25/2011
Pediatrician: obiking, Pediatric Emergency Physician replied 6 years ago
obiking
obiking, Pediatric Emergency Physician

Greetings

Pale stools usually means that the stool is a result of a Digestive process that did not include bile (bile pigments give stool its unique look)

Absence of ile pigment might be simply due to 'intestinal hurry' which is from the diarrhea.

So the major problem is the diarrhea which could just be a viral enteritis (since baby is not ill)

The prudent advise is to still get the baby physically evaluated by a pediatrician.

meanwhile in addition to milk restrictiomn, give the baby a rehydrating fluid (OTC in pharmacies) 4 ozs after each bowel motion and 4 ozs every 3 hours otherwise TILL she is examined by a doctor

obiking
obiking, Pediatric Emergency Physician
I wish I could see a doc...we have no insurance and live a distance from town as well. How many days could I ride this out without concern, as long as she remains bright eyed and active? Is there a scenerio I should be worried about? Yes, we can get her some pedialyte. I appreciate you effort, but mainly am worried about the diarrhea color since we have a history of liver disorder in our family. Her grandma had a transplant in 1995 at Mayo.
Pediatrician: Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor replied 6 years ago
Louise Sivak, M.D.
The stool color you describe worries me greatly for possible liver disease. Strongly recommend your child be seen ASAP by a pediatrician. I cannot give you a "safe time to wait" scenario, since I do not know exactly what is wrong. There is no safe time to wait.
obiking
obiking
obiking, Pediatric Emergency Physician