Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 12-year-old daughter has had abdominal pain, nausea,

lightheadedness, and weakness since just...
My 12-year-old daughter has had abdominal pain, nausea, lightheadedness, and weakness since just after Christmas. I took her to physician this past week, she had blood work to check for sugar and hypothyroidism, and also mono....surprise, the tests all checked out except for mono, which she also had about 3 years ago following a bout of about 6 successive bouts of Strep throat and a tonsillectomy....I'm not so sure this is mono, but I am interested in any other ideas. I am concerned as I read that it is very rare to have recurrence of mono
1/16/2011
Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Hello, It is definitely possible to have Mono more than once. What were the test results that showed Mono?

Customer:

She had a Monospot that was positive

Customer:

Also, she had CBC, LFTs, comprehensive, cholesterol, and those were all negative or within normal limits.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

Thanks. The symptoms you describe are typical for Mono. The Monospot test is pretty reliable when positive ; in younger kids or if negative it's not reliable. If you doubt the diagnosis have your daughter's pediatrician get EBV titers (blood test).

Customer:

thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Louise Sivak, M.D. :

You are welcome and hope your daughter feels better very soon!

Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Doctor