Pediatrics

Have Pediatric Questions? Ask a Pediatrician.

Ask a Doctor,

Pediatrics

My 9 year old son is asking why his penis is not growing.

Customer Question
Ever since he was born...
My 9 year old son is asking why his penis is not growing. Ever since he was born, his penis was small but the doctors told us that it will grow but has not happened. Someone said testosterone therapy might help but I am not willing to experiment on my child if this has little history. Any guidance? I want to make sure he is not socially maligned by this as he enters middle school. Thank you.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Pediatrics
9/2/2010
Pediatrician: Dr.R.K, Doctor replied 7 years ago
Dr.R.K
Dr.R.K, Doctor
Penis enlargement occurs mainly around puberty.
Pubertal changes in boys occurs around 12-13 years.
Your son is just 9 years old and it is too early to expect pubertal changes.
You can wait and watch till he reaches puberty.
Compared to boys his age and younger, his penis is noticeably smaller. Anything he can do before he waits another 3 to 4 years to see if it grow and catches up with his peers?
If the stretched penis length is less than 1.5 cm take him to doctor for evaluation.
Otherwise he can wait for 3-4 years till he attains puberty when he can see a growth spurt.
Dr.R.K
Dr.R.K, Doctor
Dr.R.K
Dr.R.K
Dr.R.K, Doctor